THE HISTORY OF BLOOMFIELD BOWLING CLUB
The first recorded meeting to discuss the formation of Bloomfield Bowling Club was on Wednesday, 16th November, 1927. 34 men and 14 ladies were in attendance and the club was founded the following year in 1928. The land was donated by the late Alderman W. F. Long, a lawyer and local sportsman who also played rugby for Bath. Among the founding members were Dr R. Scott-Reid, Mr F. Ifould, Mr G. Ellis, Mr A. E. Rickards, and Mr M Kirkham. Both Dr Scott-Reid and Griff Ellis attended international trials, with Griff Ellis receiving the ultimate honour of being selected to represent England during the 1938/39 season.
The Ladies' Section was formed a few months after the Men's and was one of the founding members of the Somerset Ladies Bowling Association in 1928 together with Ladies clubs from Frome Selwood, Clarence Park and Ascombe. One of those early members was Mrs Dorothy Ellis who went on to become President of the International Women's Bowling Board and the first lady Chairman of the English Bowls Council. In 1980 Dorothy received an O.B.E. for services to World Bowls.
By the 1970's membership was dwindling to an all time low and the lack of funds almost lost us the green to a development company. The then shareholders could see no alternative but to sell the land, which had been earmarked for flats. After much wrangling, the members eventually bought the shares of the old Bloomfield Sports Company Limited thus protecting the club's future. The new Sports Company has a directorate appointed by club members which looks after the affairs of both our club and the overall property including the attached tennis courts.
The club has always had strong links with the local police and in 1985 the Bath & Wansdyke Police Bowling Club made Bloomfield it's home. They continued to use our facilities for their mid-week friendly matches until they disbanded in 2014.
In 2002 it was agreed by the members that Bloomfield should become a fully integrated Mixed Club, and the first single President was a lady, Mrs Janet Reed. Janet took office in 2003 when the club celebrated it's 75th Anniversary.
Bloomfield prides itself on it's hospitality. We are a friendly club with a comfortable clubhouse, an excellent green and undoubtedly one of the best views from a Bowls Club in the county.